UK business investment is expected to decline this year despite the prospect of record economic growth, according to the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) economic forecast. The leading business group predicts UK GDP growth for 2021 of 7.1%, which, if realised, would be the strongest outturn since official records began in 1949.1 Following robust GDP growth…
Join the Ambitious Corporate Climate Action
We can’t go back to business as usual.
Slovakia signed up for net zero carbon emission by 2050 and our Chamber wants to be at the forefront of encouraging a move towards clean growth and to present an opportunity for our members to build back better in a sustainable, green and clean way, and to share knowledge and best practice on how to achieve net zero objectives.
The Race to Zero in Slovakia: Business virtual conference took place on 18th March 2021.
the race to zero
Our Chamber was the first to join the race to zero campaign from Slovakia because we firmly believe that “climate action is everyone’s business”.
Ahead of the UN Climate Change Conference COP26 in Glasgow in November 2021, the main objective is to build momentum around the shift to a decarbonized economy, where governments must strengthen their contributions to the Paris Agreement. Slovakia signed up for net zero carbon emission by 2050 but significant actions need to be taken to be able to meet this goal. And that’s where the Race to Zero comes in!
“Race To Zero” is a global campaign to rally leadership and support from businesses, cities, regions, investors for a healthy, resilient, zero carbon recovery that prevents future threats, creates decent jobs, and unlocks inclusive, sustainable growth.
As chamber leaders, we therefore commit:
- To advocate for climate action within our business networks and for well-conceived policies to limit the global average temperature rise to 1.5°C.
- To support the goal of achieving net-zero emissions globally by 2050.
- To mainstream climate mitigation and resilience guidance into chamber services.
- To work with public and private entities to support effective climate solutions as part of a transformational change that works for people and planet.
- To reduce the greenhouse footprint from chamber activities without delay.
Our Chamber was the first (but I hope definitely not be the last!) to join this campaign. Let’s go Slovakia! 🌍❤
find out more
Latest news on race to zero...
- BCC Forecast: business investment set to be left behind in record economic recovery
- Quarterly Economic Survey Q2 2021: Marked Improvement in Business Conditions but Inflation Concerns Hit Record Highs
Significantly more firms reporting improvements in key indicators, such as domestic sales and business confidence with some measures returning to pre-pandemic levels However, these rises come from the lowest base in the 31-year history of the QES, and business conditions remain fragile The balance of manufacturers expecting to increase their prices hits the highest level in the history of the QES dataset, while the proportion of businesses citing inflation as a…
- BCC reacts to latest GDP figures
Commenting on GDP figures for Q1 2021, published today by the ONS, Suren Thiru, Head of Economics at the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC), said: “While the UK economy contracted in the first quarter, the downbeat headline figure masks a renewed momentum through the quarter from January’s drop in output to an exceptionally strong March outturn as lockdown measures started to…
- STATEMENT: HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS PRINCE PHILIP THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH
At the British Chamber of Commerce in Slovakia, we are deeply saddened by the passing of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh earlier today. Our thoughts and condolences are with Her Majesty The Queen and the Royal Family. His Royal Highness, as the longest-serving consort of a reigning British monarch, devoted his…
- President opens the “Race to Zero in Slovakia: Business” conference
On Thursday 18th of March 2021, Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová opened the “Race to Zero in Slovakia: Business” virtual conference together with the British Ambassador to Slovakia, Nigel Baker and with UK High Level Champion for Climate Action, Nigel Topping. In her speech, the president underlined the importance of collective effort in achieving net zero. “For…
- UK and Slovakia fire the starting gun in Race to Zero carbon emissions
Ahead of the UN Climate Change Conference COP26 in Glasgow in November 2021, the British Embassy and the British Chamber of Commerce will launch the Race to Zero in Slovakia campaign on 18 March at a virtual event to inspire businesses to commit to net zero emissions by 2050. We are honoured that “The Race…